Survival Tip: How to Get an Alien Registration Card in Seoul


Why do I need to get an alien registration card?

– To stay in Korea for more than 90 days, all foreigners must apply for a foreign registration card.

It can be your ID card in Korea. You might need your ID card in many situations like buying a Wi-Fi egg, getting a medical insurance benefits, etc.

*If you are under the age of 17, you can get an Alien Registration card on your own or simply get recorded on your parent’s card.

How to apply for the card:

  1. Prepare your passport, a color photograph and go to Immigration Office.
  2. Submit the documents and pay the fee for application.
  3. Once an application has been processed, an alien registration card will be issued within 2 weeks.
  4. The card is valid for one year, after which it will need to be renewed.

+ The card must be returned to the immigration office when leaving the country permanently.

Don’t forget to bring:

  • Application forms (It is placed at the immigration office.)
  • Passport
  • 2 color photographs (3cm×4cm, front view of the face on white background, taken within the past 6 months)
  • Fee in cash (10,000 KRW)

*Additional documents are needed if you fall into any of these categories of visa. Click here for more info.

Getting a new card & Reissuing the card:

It usually takes around 3 or 4 days to get your new card.

But if the alien registration card is lost, stolen, damaged or there are any changes made on the details recorded on the card, you can reissue the card. However, you must apply for the reissuance within 14 days.

Locations of Immigration Office:

*Make sure you know which area you’re living in and visit the office that covers your area of residency.

1) Omokyo Office: Covers the areas of Seoul excluding Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu, Dobong-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Nowon-gu)

Address: 151, Mokdongdong-ro, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul, Korea

(About 15 mins by foot from subway line 5 Mokdong or Omokgyo Station)

2) Sejongno Office:  Covers Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu, Dobong-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Nowon-gu

Address: SK Hub Bldg. 2F, 89-4, Gyeongundong, Jongno-gu, Seoul

(About 5 mins by foot from subway line 1 Jonggak Station exit 5)

Alien Card Registration Tips!

  1. Just get your photo and photocopying done at the office. There is a photo studio booth at the office and it might be cheaper than the usual photo studios.
  2. You’ll need to wait around 3 hours or more.
  3. Make sure you know the exact address of where you stay so that you visit the right office.
  4. Make sure you have EXACT change in cash! (around 30,000-40,000KRW)
  5. If you go later in the day and end up staying after closing, be aware that you might have to return the next day for fingerprinting.

Welcome to Korea!